Russian MH17 suspect Oleg Poelatov has told his lawyers that he wants to make a statement, possibly in court at Schiphol. But his two Dutch lawyers advised against him because an international arrest warrant has been issued against him by the Netherlands.
The two Dutch lawyers Sabine Ten Doesschate and Boudewijn van Eijck of the law firm Sjöcrona Van Stigt spoke to their client in person for the first time last Wednesday 'somewhere in Russia', they announced this morning at the resumption of the trial in the extra secure court. in Schiphol. The other one Ukrainian and two Russian suspects have again failed to show up, will not be represented, and are on trial in absentia.
The two lawyers say their client denies all charges, that he knows nothing and say the conversation has led them to new points of view. They will submit new requests for additional investigations and for more and other witnesses to be heard.
The two prosecutors Thijs Berger and Ward Ferdinandusse said in a first reaction that the defense has so far brought nothing new: already at the start of the trial in March they said that the suspect knows nothing and denies everything. Apparently they fear a delaying tactic.
The Public Prosecution Service (OM) says that Pulatov did play a role in guarding the launch site and says he has evidence of this in the form of tap conversations. It can be heard, among other things, that co-suspect Sergey Dubinsky tells Pulatov that a stoop-rocket is on its way. The lawyers admitted that it is Pulatov who speaks in the tapped telephone conversations.
Moreover, the lawyers reiterated their wish that they would hear more and other witnesses, but that they still have to formulate their wishes for further investigation. The examining magistrate and the presiding judge of the multiple court have previously expressed reticence about this, but seem to want to give the defense until the beginning of November at the latest to put such requests for 'additional investigation' in writing.
A factor in this is that the lawyers believe that the earlier incriminating investigative report of the Dutch Safety Board (OVV) should not be used as evidence in this process, or that they should call all the experts consulted and their evidence in this lawsuit themselves.
On June 19, 2019, five years after the shooting down of the Malaysian passenger jet MH17, the International Joint Investigation Team identified four suspects believed to be involved in the transport of the Buk missile system.
Three of them are Russians: Igor Girkin (Strelkov), former colonel in the Russian intelligence service FSB and former so-called defense minister of the so-called “Donetsk People's Republic”; Sergey Dubinskiy, General of the Intelligence Service of the Russian Armed Forces and Head of the so-called “Main Intelligence Agency of the Donetsk People's Republic”; Oleg Pulatov, Lieutenant Colonel of the Main Intelligence Service of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces. The fourth suspect is Leonid Kharchenko, a Ukrainian citizen,
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was shot down over eastern Ukraine in July 2014. There were 283 passengers and 15 crew on board. They all died. The JIT reported that the plane was shot down with a Buk missile system belonging to the 53rd Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade of the Russian Armed Forces stationed in the Russian city of Kursk.