It therefore appears that within the EU there will be no qualified majority for either a ban or an extended approval. Each decision requires at least 55% of EU countries, representing 60% of the EU population, to agree. It was previously announced that Belgium would also abstain from voting, while it is already clear that Germany and Austria will vote against in any case. France, Malta, and Luxembourg are also not in favor of the European Commission’s proposal.
Minister Adema states that his choice to abstain takes into account both the scientific Ctgb advice (which supports allowing glyphosate) and the parliamentary motion to prohibit its use. He also says that the cabinet has commissioned scientists to conduct new additional research into possible health risks, such as those related to Parkinson’s disease.
The minister also points out that both the European and Dutch procedures provide for the immediate prohibition of glyphosate use if it is subsequently found to involve risks.
Since no qualified decision will be made in Brussels on Friday, a re-vote will follow next week in the Appeals Committee. This is not expected to result in any change of stance. EU Commissioner Stella Kyriakides said last week in the European Parliament that she only intends to make minor adjustments to the proposal.
If the Appeals Committee also fails to achieve a qualified majority, the European Commission is authorized to make its own decision. This happened five years ago (during the previous 'temporary' extension as well).
Only if there are enough 'qualified' votes against will the approval of glyphosate expire after 12-18 months. After that, member states may no longer authorize products based on this active substance.

