If Ireland wants to keep the influential trade portfolio in the European Commission, the government in Dublin will need to nominate someone to Brussels who is of the highest caliber and competence – not just someone loyal to Irish party interests.
This is what Irish MEP Seán Kelly said in an interview with the Irish agricultural newspaper AgriLand. They spoke with him about Ireland’s chances of retaining the important and influential role of Commissioner for Trade. This position is currently vacant after the resignation of Irish EU Commissioner Phil Hogan. He recently stepped down following controversy over his attendance at a luxurious golf event in Ireland, which violated the coronavirus regulations.
The Irish government submitted two candidates to Brussels on Friday to succeed Hogan: the experienced Irish MEP Mairead McGuinness and the second candidate, Andrew McDowell, who previously held a senior position at the European Investment Bank (EIB).
It is far from certain that Hogan’s successor will get the heavy trade portfolio. Von der Leyen might still rearrange the responsibilities of the 27 commissioners.
McGuinness (61) has been a member of the European Parliament since 2004 and has served as one of its vice-presidents since 2017. McDowell completed his four-year term this week as one of the EIB’s eight vice-presidents. Upon his departure, he expressed hope to continue contributing to sustainable development.
The interim resignation of an EU Commissioner is highly unusual. There is no specific reason why Ireland’s next nominee could not "take on" the trade brief. But there is also no particular reason to grant it. Kelly explained that the replacement procedure is largely in the hands of the European Commission President, Ursula von der Leyen.
The MEP suggested that if President Von der Leyen allowed Ireland to retain the trade dossier, she would "insist on having input" regarding who the Irish government nominates.
Therefore, according to Kelly, it is "interesting that Von der Leyen asked Ireland to nominate both a man and a woman for the role." Currently, the Commission (including President Von der Leyen and excluding Hogan) consists of 14 men and 12 women.
Kelly suggested that such an Irish move would enable President Von der Leyen to increase gender balance in her Commission. Gender balance was one of President Von der Leyen’s top priorities when she assumed the role at the end of 2018.
By giving President Von der Leyen the opportunity to do so, it could "strengthen Ireland’s hand" in holding onto the trade position, Kelly stated. But he emphasized that even then "nothing would be guaranteed." MEP Kelly described McGuinness as “strong” enough to be able to take on the influential trade portfolio and said she has a great chance given her wealth of European work experience.
Now that the Irish government has nominated two candidates, it is up to Commission President Ursula von der Leyen to select one of them. Afterward, the European Parliament will hold a hearing with the nominee, which is the standard procedure.
Following that, the European Parliament votes for – or against – that candidate, and if approved (provided other relevant EU bodies are also satisfied), the nominee is officially appointed. Von der Leyen will likely indicate beforehand which portfolio she intends for the candidate to take on.

