The European Commission has officially launched an 'infringement' procedure against the United Kingdom over the new British Brexit law, which is said to conflict with the previously agreed withdrawal agreement.
The Commission has sent a letter of formal notice to the British government for failing to comply with obligations under the agreement. Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government has one month to respond to the letter.
On September 9, he submitted a bill to Parliament which the Commission considers flagrantly in violation of the earlier protocol regarding customs and borders between Ireland and Northern Ireland. The House of Commons approved that ‘backtracking’ last night.
Officially, negotiations are still ongoing between the British and the EU regarding a trade deal that is supposed to take effect from next year, if the British completely leave the EU. In that case, all imports and exports will be subject to global WTO rules, including significant customs tariffs on various products.
That would be harmful to both the European and British economies. Many experts say it would especially affect British businesses in their exports. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has already said he wants those trade talks to last until mid-October at the latest and that he would not mind if they yield no results.
If the United Kingdom fails to respond at all to the current EU procedure, the next step would be for the EU to issue a ‘reasoned opinion’ on the matter. In reaction to the situation, Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, said: “As you know, we had asked our British friends to withdraw their plan by the end of September at the latest.
This bill is – by its nature – a breach of the obligation of good faith. The deadline passed yesterday. The problematic provisions have not been removed. Therefore, Brussels has decided to send the British government a letter of formal notice. This is the first step in an infringement procedure,” President von der Leyen added.

