Limiting these food imports is a response to earlier complaints from EU farmers, including objections against the Mercosur agreement with four South American countries. Last year, farmers across Europe also protested against the increasing pressure from EU climate and environmental regulations.
Additionally, they complain about strict Green Deal standards imposed by the EU on European farmers that are not applied elsewhere in the world. As a result, they say, they are less competitive on the global market.
Brussels therefore wants to determine that the most dangerous pesticides banned in the EU "may not be brought into the EU via imported products," according to a draft that Hansen will publish on Wednesday ('within 100 days after his appointment'). With this, Hansen also responds to the ‘mirror clause’ in trade agreements advocated by France.
However, the European Commission's plan could provoke the anger of US President Trump, who has repeatedly accused the EU of unfair treatment of the US.. Trump wants to impose import tariffs on trading partners he accuses of unfair trade practices, but last week he already backtracked on sanctions against Canada and Mexico.
Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said earlier this month that the EU does not seek a trade war with the Americans but will not hesitate to take countermeasures if necessary.
The Commission says regarding the import of chemically contaminated food that it wants to avoid a ‘general ban’ and decide on a case-by-case basis, taking into account market conditions and the country of origin, according to an EU official. This creates room for Brussels ‘to be able to discuss it with Washington’.
The Commission plans to carry out an impact assessment this year. Such a effects report examines the impact of the decision on the competitiveness of the EU, including compliance with World Trade Organization (WTO) rules.

