In Libya, forces commanded by Khalifa Haftar carried out an attack on a Turkish ship in the port of Tripoli. The ship was transporting weapons to the government army. In response, the government in Tripoli suspended its participation in the negotiations for a ceasefire.
Later, reports emerged that a weapons depot on the port premises had been hit. According to the government in Tripoli, three civilians died in the attack. UN Libya envoy Ghassan Salame confirmed that the port was attacked, without providing further details.
Turkey has sent troops and weapons to support the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), which is fighting against the LNA, led by General Khalifa Haftar. Ankara has also been accused of sending Syrian mercenaries to the country, including freed ISIS prisoners.
The presence of the Turkish munitions ship comes despite efforts by the European Union to enforce an arms embargo on Libya. The EU plans to monitor compliance with the arms supply ban. The UN-backed "national unity" government says it has suspended talks with General Khalifa Haftar after the attack on the port.
Haftar met Wednesday in Moscow with Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu to discuss the latest developments in Tripoli, following a meeting Tuesday with the top U.S. diplomat in Libya at Haftar’s headquarters.
The European Union has declared its readiness to oversee the ceasefire and the arms embargo against the rival parties. However, the EU’s offer is unlikely to be accepted by Haftar, who says his goal is to "conquer all of Libya," including the capital. In Ankara, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan insisted that the "EU has no authority to make decisions regarding Libya" and stated that Turkey will continue to support the Tripoli-based government of Prime Minister Fayez el-Sarraj.

