IEDE NEWS

World Further Locked Down; China Sends Face Masks and Medical Supplies

Iede de VriesIede de Vries
Photo by cheng feng on Unsplash — Photo: Unsplash

More and more European countries are receiving aid from China in tackling the corona crisis. Beijing is conducting a diplomatic charm offensive and has supplied medical equipment, such as face masks and test kits, to countries around the world. It also sent medical teams to heavily affected Italy, which has reported the highest death toll worldwide.

President Ursula von der Leyen of the European Commission, the EU's executive body, said this week that China is sending two million medical masks to Europe. "We are grateful for Chinese support," she stated.

Countries such as the Philippines, Pakistan, Iran, and Iraq have also received aid from China. The Chinese state newspaper People’s Daily emphasized Thursday in a commentary that China presents itself as a responsible major power cooperating well with other countries.

The relationship with the United States has come under further strain due to the outbreak. China is displeased that President Donald Trump deliberately refers to the "Chinese virus," while Washington is outraged over the expulsion of American journalists by the Chinese government.

The coronavirus first emerged in China late last year and then spread globally. In China, no new infections have been reported for several days now.

According to observers, Beijing is now trying to position itself as the savior of other countries after earlier criticism over how the initial outbreak was handled. Across China, 81,054 cases have been confirmed and 3,261 deaths have been recorded.

Worldwide, the total number of confirmed cases surpassed 300,000 on Saturday, with over 13,000 deaths. In Italy, nearly 800 deaths were reported in one day Saturday, and the country currently has the highest number of fatalities: 4,825.

The Italian government has decided that all "non-strategic companies" must close their doors for 15 days. This government decree means only supermarkets, pharmacies, post offices, and banks may remain open. Crucial government services and the transportation system will also continue to operate as much as possible. "We are slowing down the country's productive engine, but we are not stopping it," said Conte, referring to "the most severe crisis the country has faced since World War II."

From Australia across Africa to Latin America: around the planet this weekend stringent rules are being introduced or tightened to stop the spread of the coronavirus. Australia is banning domestic non-essential travel. States will impose further measures later, announced Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

In India, the 1.3 billion inhabitants must stay indoors for 14 hours daily starting Sunday. In the Middle East, Gulf countries such as the Emirates, Qatar, and Kuwait are closing many public places. The army is deployed in Lebanon to prevent people from leaving their homes. Jordan has imposed a curfew.

The Democratic Republic of Congo reported its first death in the capital Kinshasa. Rwanda is ordering its citizens to stay indoors and is closing its borders. El Salvador has introduced a mandatory 30-day quarantine. Bolivia, where a two-week lockdown is in effect, is postponing its elections scheduled for May 3.

Tags:
Italy

This article was written and published by Iede de Vries. The translation was generated automatically from the original Dutch version.

Related articles